Friday, September 16, 2011

Light Bulb Moment

Ok so this morning as I'm sitting outside enjoying my coffee, air1 radio station and doing my bible study (Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World).  I am on Chapter 4 and there is a story of a guy who God has called to haul three stones to the top of the mountain.  He gladly says yes, he's excited to be working for the Lord.  As he comes to people on his journey he's asked to also take their stones, bag of pebbles and what not.  (This is a shorter version of it of course) As he gets to the really steep part of his journey, he no longer is singing praises, or happy to be helping friends out.  He's beginning to get frustrated and tells God that he's called him to do something he just can't do.  God shows up and looks in his wagon and asks what is all this?  The man explains that they are from his friends they asked for him to take with him.  God begins tossing out the items that are not his and tells him that "If you will be content to let others take their own burdens, I will help you with your task."  The guy tells him "But I promised I would help!  I can't have these things lying here."  Here's the light bulb moment!!  "Let others shoulder their own belongings. I know you were trying to help but when you are weighted down with all these cares, you cannot do what I have asked of you."  The man jumped to his feet, suddenly realizing the freedom God was offering.  "You mean I only have to take the three stones after all?"  God smiled and said "That is what I asked you to do.  My yoke is easy, and my burden is light.  I will never ask you to carry more than you can bear."

WOW!! ok...how many times do we try to take on the world when God has only asked to carry something much lighter?  I so do this all the time.  I love this and will be pondering this all day today.  Have a great day and lighten your load!!! Ask God what it is that you're supposed to be carrying and stop taking on more than He asked!

No comments: